Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mountaintop amusement (park)

Rawandoz, Kurdistan, N. Iraq
Thursday, April 2, 2009

Okay, think Iraq. Now, think Kurdistan--if you know anything about the place. I bet you're not thinking about an amusement park. Personally, I generally hate amusement parks of all kinds, but Pank Amusement Park is undoubtably set in THE most beautiful surroundings I have ever seen for an amusement park.

Pank lies high, high above the Bekhal waterfalls near the town of Rawandoz. There is a ferris wheel (I think it's the 3rd one I've seen in the past 10 days), a sort of saucer ride, and best of all, a "gravity toboggan" ride. And lots of spots for picnicking and/or barbequeing.

When our friend first described the toboggan ride I was pretty doubtful--as was Frank. I cautiously let Frank and M go first--but Frank came back with a big "thumbs up." I decided to give it a try and ended up screaming pretty much the whole way down. But the good thing about the ride is that the rider gets to decide how fast or slow he/she wants to go. Push on the levers and you speed up. Pull back and you slow down. The ride winds down the hill and out of sight, twisting and turning over the steep hillside through gorgeous scenery. Frank went back for another ride--and our friends another still.

In addition to rides, there are "cottages" for spending the night, restaurants, and lots and lots of fabulous views.

Below is Frank "in action"...

For a "review" of the place from the Guardian of London:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jun/16/iraq.michaelhoward