Wednesday, January 4, 2012

State of Wonder

Hua Hin, Thailand
Thursday, January 5, 2012

Okay, I'll admit it: I resisted the Kindle long and hard. As usual, Frank had to buy yet another gadget over my protests. But there we are at a remote-ish beach in Thailand and my reading material was exhausted and there sat the Kindle...

First I read one of Frank's running books on the Kindle. Next, I perused the free books at the hotel lobby--most of them were of the Stephen King variety--but in Swedish or Norwegian--which I COULD read, but that is really NOT my genre. Then came an e-mail from the Seattle Public Library touting the "top 10 books of the year". I don't have much time to read during the school year, and I still LOVE the feel of a book in my hands. But suddenly I realized I could order almost any book I wanted from this distant spot. So, I ordered up "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchett. (She also wrote "Bel Canto" if you missed that gem.)

I can't say that I "love" the Kindle yet, but I LOVE this book. Read it. It's fantastic.

If this kind of flexibility in reading "on the road" is what the Kindle makes possible, then I am converted--for sure. Thanks, Frankie!