Tuesday, December 24, 2013

"goi, goi"

The elephant in question
Outside Khao Sok National Park, Thailand
Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Great was my reluctance to get on that elephant. I wasn't sure if I should be relieved or worried to see that an actual seat belt was part of the contraption that we were supposed to ride on. But get on I did. This elephant ride was too-long awaited for me to turn back.

Thai coffee beans
To simulate the experience of "trekking in the jungle", our elephant handler led the elephant up, down, and around the mountainside near the camp where the elephants live. I had some doubts about how well the elephants here are treated, but I hardly know WHAT a 40 year-old elephant is SUPPOSED to look like.

In addition to learning what a coffee beans look like "on the branch", I have now learned one important phrase in elephant-handler talk. "Goi, goi", I learned, means "carefully, carefully" which, I am happy to say, brought us back safely to the elephant dismounting station in about one hour's time...

To see the view from "up top," click below...