Thursday, April 10, 2014

Model fleet

Check out the tires...
Madaba, Jordan
Thursday, April 10, 2014

After a disappointing experience with trying to teach the idea of scale and scale drawings to my geometry students, I decided it was time to try something new: making scale models of the school's vans. I marched up to Motorpool one evening, measured the vans by headlamp, and made my own model. Then I returned the next day to Motorpool with students in tow--so they could measure for themselves. Each student got a different ratio to work with so all the vans were different sizes. I was pleased by the model vans they produced--and the fun (to-scale) details they added. (Part of the project was to add four to-scale details.) This 3D project was sure a lot more successful than those 2D drawings...

...and the license plates...