Saturday, March 20, 2021

Books on bikes

Seattle, Washington

Some number of months ago, I discovered that I couldn't go on riding and only listening to music. First, I discovered podcasts--I know, I know, I am always late to the party. Some of my favorites include Rough Translation, LA Theatre Works (the science-based plays are GREAT!), On the Media, the NPR Politics Podcast, and Revolutions by Mike Duncan. From the Revolutions series, I have listened to the South American revolutions series and the Haitian Revolution; the latter was particularly interesting.

At the same time I was finishing up the Haitian Revolution podcast, I decided to listen to another "book on tape"--through the Seattle Public Library's Overdrive app. I chose Isabel Allende's "The Island Beneath the Sea" which is a fictional account of the Haitian Revolution--a perfect complement to the history podcast I'd just finished. And right like that, I got hooked on listening to books on bikes. No earbuds mind you. Too dangerous. Which means that I can only listen on quieter parts of my rides. But it's been great, and I am already looking forward to lots more listening (and riding) to come!

"Books on bikes" enjoyed in the last few months:

  • "The Great Influenza" by John Barry (an excellent COVID-times read!)
  • "The Island Beneath the Sea" by Isabel Allende
  • "Ghost Wall" by Sarah Moss
  • "The Bone Clocks" by David Mitchell (wow!)
  • "A Long Petal of the Sea" by Isabel Allende
  • "Ghostwritten" by David Mitchell
  • "Taft" by Anne Patchett
  • "The Parable of the Talents" by Octavia Butler

27.3 miles