Saturday, May 8, 2021

Vantage to Kittitas: Cascades to Palouse Trail

Vantage, Washington

It was 5 easy miles from the Wanapum State Campground to the start of the Cascades to Palouse Trail (formerly the John Wayne Trail) south of Vantage. Miles 6 to 23 were brutal: uphill, into the wind, with trail either too rocky or small-gravelly. And when the head wind abated, the side wind was enough to knock me off my bike. Finally reached the closed Boylston tunnel and headed onto the detour. It was so rocky I had to walk most of it. 

Joyously, I reached the other side of the detour and saw DOWNHILL for the first time in 3.5 hours. But, no, the trail was so sandy that I could only manage about 5 mph DOWNHILL! The flowers are amazing this time of year and crossing the railroad trestle over I-5 was trippy. Then another 4 or 5 miles into Kittitas where I got some water at Baileys Bookstore -- I am grateful! Rejoined the trail at Kittitas but only made it another mile before giving up: the headwind was fierce and the gravel too awful. And despite the sun, the wind made things COLD.

But what a glorious adventure! I look forward to doing more of this Cascades to Palouse Trail, but I will NEVER ride this section again!

35.7 miles