Friday, December 2, 2022

Seeing what you understand -- and understanding what you see

Seogwipo, Jeju Island, South Korea

Spent my last day on Jeju exploring "Old" Seogwipo with my friend. One of the places she took me to was the Lee Jung-Seob Art Gallery. Although there is not much of his actual work on display at the gallery, it was really interesting to learn about his life and work. And to get to know his style. It was only later that day that I realized that re-creations of his work are all over Seogwipo. It's just that until I visited the gallery, I had no idea what I was looking at. Like so many things in life...

And not until I got home and unpacked the erasers I'd bought at the gallery did I finally recognize what the image on the erasers...

(See the same shape in the mural above?)