Sunday, August 6, 2023

Danish minimalism, Part II

Lyngby, Denmark

Saturday morning and we stroll the 1km into the city center to buy breakfast food at the grocery store. We pass a brutalist boxy concrete structure that is clearly a church. It stands out particularly in a city with some of the most gorgeously preserved old Danish houses I have seen. And lovely old churches, too. I find myself wondering...

Sunday morning and I repeat the stroll toward the grocery store but this time I decide to try the doors of the church--it IS Sunday morning, after all. Inside a quite lovely interior awaits. I am reminded of one of my favorite churches in Berlin--a concrete monstrosity that from the inside has some of the most beautiful (modern) stained glass I have ever seen--and a delight to be inside.

Old truisms about not judging books by their covers spring to mind. Though, seriously, from the outside this place looks pretty rough...