Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Seabuckthorn postscript

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Tuesday, January 26, 2009

All my earlier comments about seabuckthorn have generated a good deal of response from friends around the world. Several days ago I received this image (baby food!) from a friend in Finland. Which reminded me that I forgot to mention the treat that awaited us when we returned to Ulaanbaatar earlier this month from Thailand: an exploded bottle of seabuckthorn juice. Somehow a recently purchased bottle of the stuff got into the cupboard (instead of the fridge) before we left town for three weeks. We came home to streaks of the orange stuff running down the kitchen wall (it had escaped out of the back of the cupboard) and a great sticky orange pool in amongst the oils and vinegars.

I must say, the taste of seabuckthorn is rather an acquired one, but in the meantime, Frank and A have become big fans of the stuff. And it grows HERE in Mongolia--where not much else does.