Sunday, March 14, 2010

BEIMUN 2010

Beijing, China
Friday, March 12, 2010

I am Bejing for four days to chaperone my students during the Beijing Model United Nations.

This trip is a special opportunity for me--seeing these 1000 freshly scrubbed young people all dressed up and ready to debate the biggest questions of our time makes me hopeful in a way I haven't felt in a long time. There was also a very inspiring soil scientist who spoke about some of the re-vegetation projects being sponsored in China. The images of the improvements in 10 years' time took my breath away. This guy comes to Mongolia (environmental degredation, yes!) often, and I am going to write to him and ask him to visit our school to talk about his work.

The 18 year-old Assistant Secretary General (a Korean student attending an international school in Beijing) implored the delegates to "choose passion over conformity" when considering their career choices in the face of the world's challenges.

I wanted to stand up and cheer. It's NOT true what they say about young people...