Friday, November 30, 2012

Geometry in action

Pre-fab...
Madaba, Jordan
Friday, November 30, 2012

While Frank was out on a 23-mile run this morning, A and I passed the time by making our first-ever gingerbread house. I must say that it really felt like "geometry in action"--which is something my students seem to doubt actually exists. I had help from a pattern I found on the internet, but I had to re-size it because I didn't seem to have enough dough for the larger size. There I am cutting down the roof and the walls and wondering, "But will it still fit together?"

Happily, it did fit together. I covered a McVities box with aluminum foil and stuck in on the inside to give it some extra structure, just in case my frosting was not strong enough to hold everything together. Great fun!
Home sweet home...