Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sponge toss

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Saturday, September 12, 2009

Okay, I'll admit it. I was dubious about the idea of our school's "Fall Fun Fair," which took place earlier today. I have never much liked carnival games and the sort. Nonetheless, I dutifully worked with my homeroom to prepare a game for the fair. They made a nice poster, filled water balloons with colored water, and brought in some darts.

"Pop Art"--get it?

And then, in a rush of school spirit, I even volunteered for a turn at the sponge toss--where kids pay to throw a wet sponge at their teachers.

But there were also dog walks, cake walks, and a nice assortment of other activities for kids of all ages.

Happily, I am a convert, at least for this low-tech, kid-friendly, version of a carnival. And I think my shrieking must have really brought in the customers for the sponge toss. And no, it didn't hurt--even when one 10 year-old managed to hit me twice on the face.