Saturday, February 8, 2020

Walking Bordeaux

Bordeaux, France

This trip was not at all about seeing the city of Bordeaux, but as chance would have it, I had two train layovers there and this afforded me an unexpected chance to see a bit of the city. On the way “in” there was only enough time to go down the street from Gare Saint Jean and admire this church. This afternoon, however, I had more than two hours to play. Time enough to leave my luggage at the station and walk several miles around town. Mostly I wandered along the Garonne river where many folks were out strolling on a Saturday afternoon. As an added "bonus," my walk intersected with a protest march (the Yellow Vests, I think) which was accompanied by a hoard of black protection-clad police. I even had time to buy an interesting pastry as I rushed back to the station. The architecture of the older part of the city is wonderful—the city gate which lies along the river is particularly spectacular. Bordeaux was this trip's unexpected bonus!