Monday, November 2, 2009

Boss Wife Foods

Ningbo-Beilun, Zhejiang, China

I just returned this afternoon from chaperoning a school sports trip to China. This latest trip to China is my sixth trip to China over the past 27 years, and it makes my head spin to think of the changes I have seen since 1982. One area of huge change that struck me is food.

We spent time in a mega-grocery store (the students wanted treats), and I was amazed by the aisle after aisle of what I would truly call "non-food" items. And all the plastic packaging. China is a very, very different place than it was 27 years ago. And then there were the trips to McDonalds, KFC, and Starbucks. Of course, only a relatively small percentage of China's population are buying these "foods" since they are quite expensive by Chinese standards. 

One item in particular that caught my eye at this mega-grocery: fruit jellies. It seems that in my gastronomic isolation, I have missed the emergence of this "food" item. My students bought them by the kilo, but honestly, I was too afraid to try them. Every color, flavor & texture seemed to be on offer. The things one learns when one travels!


I skipped the food at McDonalds and KFC, but I will confess to one latté and a chocolate muffin at Starbucks.

But what was really wonderful was the take out trays they brought to the sports venue every day for the kids. Now, maybe I've been in Mongolia too long, but that food, though a bit greasy, was like heaven. Clockwise from top-left: lovely duck, egg pancake, beef stir-fry, and spicy (delicious!) cabbage.
Coming home to the Mongolian diet will not be easy.
Oh, and my favorite food-related advertisement? A huge billboard selling the virtues of "Boss Wife Foods".

 
Pictured: 1) inside a mega "food" store, 2) fruit jellies, and 3) a heavenly take-out lunch