Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Virginia's Greek bread

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Wednesday, December 9, 2009

As long as I can remember, my mom has been baking "Greek bread" as a Christmas treat for friends and family. About 10 years ago, I took up the tradition and started to bake this same bread at Christmastime for my friends and colleagues. It seemed like a good idea to carry on the tradition here in Ulaanbaatar, but I seem to have left the recipe at home in a box somewhere in my basement in Seattle. And Mom seems to have misplaced her copy as well.

A family tradition about to die?

Last night I figured I could try re-creating the recipe--and it actually came out pretty well. A bit more tweaking, and I think I'll have the recipe about right.

Here's a pretty good re-creation:

2 Tablespoons hot water
1 pkg yeast (or 2/3 T)
dissolve together
scald 2/3 cup of milk and cool to luke warm
Then add yeast/water mixture and 1/2 cup flour and 1 teas. sugar

Mix and let rise until double.

Melt 1/4 cup butter and let cool
Beat 2 eggs and add 1/2 cup sugar

Also add:
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg

Mix everything together.

Now add 2 and 1/2 cups of flour. Mix and knead until springy. Cover. Let rise in a warm place until double. Punch down.

Divide into three parts (or six) and roll into long strips. Braid the strips. Let rise again. Paint with mixed egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds and almonds.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes if you make one loaf, and 17-20 minutes if you make two loaves.

Enjoy!