Sunday, December 27, 2009

Unexpected marathon

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Sunday, December 27, 2009

Two days ago Frank spotted a poster with the words "Chiang Mai Marathon" on it. The rest of the poster was in Thai. But there was a web address, too. Further investigation revealed that the marathon was being held today. Frank amazed me by signing up for the marathon--and completing it in a very decent time (considering what little training he has had time for lately). They started running in the dark at 4:00 am. A and I had lots of fun waiting for him at the finish line.

Frank comments: People have told me how surprised they are that I was able to do a marathon without training for it. I credit my success to mixing running and walking (in this case 4 minutes running followed by 1 minute walking, from the beginning). Jeff Galloway's book Marathon: You Can Do It! includes a testamonial from a man who never had run farther than 8 miles in his life and who on a whim signed up to run a marathon to see how far he would get before giving up. He joined up with a pace group that was using the run/walk method, and he completed the marathon in just under 5 hours. I figured if it worked for him it would work for me, and I set myself the goal of completing in just under 5 hours. I think I was spot on; I run with a Garmin GPS device and according to it the course was more than a kilometer short. If the course had been the full 42.195 kilometers, I would have finished in exactly 5 hours.