Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Temperature shock

Bangkok, Thailand
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

When we left Ulaanbaatar this morning it was -31 °F (-35 °C). When we arrived in Bangkok, it was 85 °F (30 °C). I can promise you that that is the single largest temperature difference I have ever experienced in a day. Yes, folks, that's a difference of 116 °F!

How to prepare for both extremes had been a topic of discussion for some days at the dinner table. We were all packed and ready to go when I found myself racing back into the bedroom to put on my new wool long johns. Visions of getting stranded on the road to the Ulaanbaatar airport in the frigid temperatures finally overwhelmed my vision of tropical temperatures in Bangkok.

Turns out to have been a good idea--the race from our car to the terminal and two hours in the chilly airport made all those clothes a very good decision. Yes, we should all don our long johns on the way to Thailand...