Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Soft serve & green papaya salad

Bangkok, Thailand
Tuesday, December 22, 2009

In some desperation to find a place to let A run around, we ended up at Bangkok’s giant MBK mall this afternoon. Not a wide open mall in the conventional American style, it’s more of a warren that goes on for floors and floors. While chasing A up and down, I decided to get some soft serve ice cream at KFC. (Shocking, I know!) But then, on one of the top floors of the mall, I spotted an old familiar sight: shredded green papaya. My lips are still burning from the memory of this plate of green papaya salad. This dish is not for everyone (shredded green papaya, peanuts, fish sauce, chili peppers, crushed garlic, tiny dried shrimp, and tomatoes) but it is one of my all-time favorites. The only thing is, I should have waited to have the ice cream AFTERWARDS to put out the fire!