Sunday, April 11, 2010

Go there and I own it

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Sunday, April 11, 2010

There's something about travelling to a place. Maybe I leave a part of myself behind, but somehow I feel as if I "own" it in a way I never did before. For me, at least, I am never again able to view a place with the same indifference or detachment as before. It's a real place. I've walked the streets. I've met the people. I've eaten the food.

Safely at home in Ulaanbaatar this morning after our Korean adventures, I was shocked to hear about the deaths in Bangkok (23 dead, hundreds injured) last night in political street violence.

Spending three weeks in Thailand over Winter Break makes the place seem real in a way it never was before. I can no longer say the place and its people are beyond my conception.