Sunday, April 25, 2010

OSHA, where are you?

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Sunday, April 25, 2010

This evening I headed out for a walk to a nearby grocery store which sometimes has my favorite biscuits. As I was walking along the main road, an enormous digger rolled by on a flatbed truck. (As the mother of a 2.5 year-old, I take notice of large diggers where once I wouldn't have given them a passing glance.)

About 50 meters up the road, I met up with the same digger again--only now it was standing still. There was a gentleman on top of the digger disentangling the top of the machine from the low-hanging electrical wires above. I almost fainted.

When at last he had apparently distangled the machine from the wires, the truck started moving again. And then I realized that the man was riding along on the top of the digger, holding the wires aloft, hand over hand, as the truck drove along beneath him.

OSHA, where are you?